Spider’s Revenge

Spider’s Revenge  - Jennifer Estep Originally posted at WickedLilPixie Reviews
4.5 Stars
I always love how the books in the Gin Blanco series start. They have the best opening lines!

Old habits die hard for assassins.

And that is just what Gin Blanco is. She is the assassin known as Spider and she kills people. Spider’s Revenge is the fifth book in the Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep, and it’s official. Spider’s Revenge is my favorite book in the series. With that statement, I can easily lead in to saying that this series just gets better and better in its direction, and character development.

We start right off with Gin trying to take out Mab completely by herself while Mab is hosting a dinner party at her home. Gin is crazy, I told you that, right? Anyway, she completely misses her mark, and that starts a total shitstorm. She causes a wave of hurt among the two most important men in her life, Fin her foster brother and Owen her boyfriend. She went behind all her friends’ backs, tried to take out one of the most powerful Elementals in the world, and did it completely alone without telling anyone. In addition, now Mab knows she’s being aggressively hunted and has thrown up even more guards than she had before. But something else is going on. Murders have increased in Ashville more than they have been before, and Gin’s sister and detective Brie feels this might have something to do with the dinner guests Mab had over the night of Gin’s botched assassination attempt. The story unfolds from there, and it had me on the edge of my seat.

Gin’s relationship with Bria evolves wonderfully, as they are brought closer and work together to avenge their mother and sister’s murders. I was so worried right along with Gin that Bria would not accept that her sister was the Spider, the violent murdering assassin.

Finn is so close to acknowledging that he might have feelings for Bria. The way he moons after her when she’s not looking. And the way she teases him back indicates she enjoys making him work for her attention. I loved their playfulness, especially knowing that Bria could be the one to change Finn’s manwhoring ways. And that is all I’ll say on that, because this is a no spoiler zone, friends. Additionally, Owen Greyson continues to be Gin’s rock. I could not be happier with the evolution of their relationship as well. There may or may not be some long-awaited words of affection shared between the two of them. You’ll just have to read and find out

And most importantly, and why I love this series so much… the action and fight scenes in Spider’s Revenge totally deliver! The violence and gore is awesome, I just love Gin so much, she is such a freaking badass you guys. The showdowns between Gin and Mab are spectacular and had me hanging on the edge of my seat. And yet, while the Spider gets her Revenge in this installment, the way the book is ended left me so happy with what Gin might be doing when we meet her next in By a Thread, the next Gin book. If you are already a fan of this series, go, run, and get this book! If you’re new to this series, you definitely need to start at the beginning. Here is the Elemental Assassin reading order for your convenience:

Spider’s Bite
Web of Lies
Venom
Tangled Threads
Spider’s Revenge
By a Thread (February 2012)