Shadow Walker

Shadow Walker - Allyson James Originally posted at WickedLilPixie Reviews
Shadow Walker is the third book in Allyson James’s Stormwalker series and we meet up with Stormwalker Janet Begay and Mick Burns soon after Firewalker ended. Janet awakens something while she is out at Canyon de Chelly taking photographs, something rather frightening. While Sheriff Nash Jones is hot on Janet Begay’s trail speeding down the highway, a giant sinkhole sucks them both up. Mick saves the day, by rescuing both Janet and Nash, but that’s just the beginning of what’s in store for Janet and the Gang. After a visit to Janet’s Crossroads Hotel by the new Hopi County safety inspector in town, and a dramatic drop in by Janet’s half-sister, we realize the story has only begun.

As with the previous two books, Shadow Walker has a nice and strong mystery plot line. Mick has started acting distant and it’s making Janet’s heart ache. Janet is determined to find out what is going on, and it also makes her analyze and be honest with herself on just how much Mick means to her. In addition, mysterious wonky things are happening to the structure of her hotel, and she is tasked with calling on her friends to help her get her hotel back up to code. Pretty soon, so much shenanigans is going on around Janet that all of the secondary characters we have grown to love are helping Janet with Mick and her hotel. We get a nice dose of Janet’s Grandmother in this one, and I like what Ms. James is doing with Janet’s newfound sister, Gabrielle. And the story wouldn’t be complete without our favorite Magic Mirror, “oh girlfriend”!

I had a rough time staying as connected to this one as I did the previous two books. I wish I could pinpoint why. I had to sit on this for a bit before I could write up my opinion. The first third of the book seemed as thought it was going somewhere then the middle of the book just fell apart for me with regards to pacing and direction. Then the last third of the book the pace picked up again and I was back in the game. Even though I didn’t love this one as much as the first two, I am still so very eager to find out what happens next with Janet, Mick, and Gabrielle!

All in all, I do believe this series is a strong Urban Fantasy series with romantic elements and would recommend it to UFR fans.

Stormwalker