Magic Slays

Magic Slays - Ilona Andrews Originally posted at WickedLilPixie Reviews
“It was too late now. I wanted love or nothing.” – Kate Daniels

By now we all know how awesome Kate Daniels, Curran, Andrea, Derek, and every other character in this series is, right? I have read all the reviews my awesome fellow-book bloggers have written thus far on Magic Slays and there is not a whole heck of a lot more things I can add to illustrate just how brilliant this series is. So, I am going to rate it and give you my favorite quotes from the book. Obviously, there are spoilers in the quotes so skim them if you haven’t read the book yet. Enjoy!

Curran and Kate:

The tension in his voice eased. “You sure you don’t need your Prince Charming to come and save you?”

The knot in my stomach evaporated. My Prince Charming, huh. “Sure, do you have one handy?”

“Oh, I think I could scrounge one up somewhere. As often as I have to rescue you . . .”

“I’m going to kick you in the head when I get home. Repeatedly.”

“You could try. You probably need the exercise since you sit on your butt in the office all day.”

“You know what, don’t talk to me.”

“Whatever you want, baby.”

Now he was just jerking my chain. I growled at the phone.

I hung up. Rescue me. Bastard. I wouldn’t just kick him, I would kick him so hard he’d feel it. pg. 53

Andrea and Kate:

“I’ve got a dog-training book,” Andrea said. “It says Grendel needs mental stimulation, so I tried to train him, but I think he might be retarded. I figured you would want to see your dog eventually, so here we are. He’s probably eaten my dashboard by now.”

If she was lucky. If not, he would’ve also puked on the floor and then peed on it for a good measure. pg. 61

Andrea and Kate:

“Are you sure you know where you’re going?” Andrea frowned.

“Would you like me to pull over and ask that bamboo for directions?”

“I don’t know, do you think it will answer?”

We peered at the bamboo.

“I think it looks suspicious,” Andrea said.

“Maybe there is a heffalump hiding in it.”

Andrea stared at me.

“You know, heffalump? From Pooh Bear?”

“Where do you even get this shit?” pg. 88

Curran and Kate:

“When you offered me this business, did you think I would stay in the office all day baking cookies?”

“Nobody ever died of being shot by a cookie.”

He had me there. I groped about my brain for a snappy comeback. “There is always a first time.”

Oh, now that was a brilliant response. No doubt he’d collapse at my feet in awe at my intellectual magnificence.

“If anybody could manage being shot by a cookie, it would be you.” Curran shrugged. pg. 124

Kate to the Nightingale Bandit:

When unsure of the stranger’s intentions, the best policy is to open a meaningful dialogue. “Hey, dickhead! Who taught you to shoot, Louis Braille? That arrow missed me by a mile.” pg. 158

Andrea and Derek:

Andrea stared at me. “You’re not taking me seriously!”

“That’s probably because you’re not excited enough,” Derek said. “You should clench your fists like they do in the movies, shake them, and yell, ‘This is bigger than any of us! It goes all the way to the top!’”

Andrea pointed her finger at him. “You shut up. I don’t have to take shit from you. From her, maybe. But not from you.” pg. 148

Kate and Jezebel:

“I know, I’m late.” I put some speed into it, hoping my knee held up.

Jezebel chased me, keeping up with ridiculous ease. “I’m going to rip their heads off and skull-fuck them.”

That would be something to see, especially since she didn’t have a penis. pg. 150

Curran and Kate:

“You can’t tell me what to do.”

Curran roared. The blast of noise erupting from his mouth was like thunder. I clenched up, fighting the urge to step back.

“Yes I can,” he snarled. “Listen: this is me telling you what you will not do.”

I raised the cookbook and tapped him on the nose. Bad cat. pg. 238

Doolittle and Kate:

Doolittle stopped and looked at me. For a moment he looked stricken, and then he crossed his arms. “There will be none of that, now. You are my finest work. If I ever go to one of those medmage conferences they keep inviting me to, I will take you with me. “Look!” He held his hands out toward me. “’Bone dragons, sea demons, rakshasas, and worst of all, our own people, and these magic hands kept her alive through it all. Look at her walk!’ You can’t even see the limp anymore. As long as you don’t open your mouth, you will appear as a perfect example of a healthy adult female. With your history, they’ll be calling me a miracle worker.” pg. 261

Curran and Kate:

“I know he is coming and you are afraid. If you don’t want to fight him, you and I can disappear.”

I stared at him.

“The mass transit is gone. No planes, no reliable roads. The world is big again, Kate. He will never find us.”

“What about the Pack?”

His upper lip trembled, betraying the edge of his teeth. “Fuck the Pack. I gave them fifteen years of my life. I fought for them, bled for them, and the moment my back was turned, they attacked my wife. I owe them nothing.”

Curran reached over and covered my fingers with his hand. “I’m serious. Say the word right now and we’re gone. We can take Julie with us, if you want.”

His gray eyes looked into mine. “If I fought for them and was crippled, they would all say nice things, and then they would replace me and forget I was ever there. You would stay with me. You would take care of me, because you love me. I love you too, Kate. If you ever became hurt, I would not leave you. I’ll be there. Wherever you want ‘there’ to be.” pg. 265

*sobs*

In summary, once again Ilona Andrews outdo themselves with Magic Slays, which is the best in the series, just as Magic Bleeds was the best in the series before it. The magic of the characters and the world building continue to grow with each new installment making the series better and better and at its strongest yet with this 5th book. The writing is nothing short of genius and that is pretty much all there is to it. If you aren’t reading this series, you are crazy.

Magic Bites