Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between

Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between - J.A. Saare Originally posted at WickedLilPixie Reviews
Since the Spring of this year, I have heard tons of buzz from pretty much all of my favorite fellow book bloggers about this hot new character named “Disco”, in a new book by an author named J.A. Saare. I’ve seen Disco widgets on their blogs and I’ve seen chatter about Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between on Twitter and Goodreads. The book has been on my radar since, but my roadblock was it’s only been available for purchase through Amazon.com. I hate Amazon. I won’t go in to my rant on why, and please don’t ask here because that is not the intent of this review. The point is: I kept putting off buying this book hoping it would become available elsewhere. When it became clear that getting it elsewhere was not going to happen, I sucked it up and ordered the paperback from a company I loathe. After all the build-up and waiting, I am so happy to say that my expectations were most definitely met. From the very first page, with the opening paragraph, I knew I was going to love this:

“Rhiannon’s Law #27: When you’re working in a gentleman’s club and one of your dancers takes off those heels, alert the big guns, an ass kicking is on the menu.”

Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between is the first book in J.A. Saare’s Rhiannon’s Law series. We meet Rhiannon working as a bartender in a gentleman’s club. As she’s trying to make drinks and keep the peace among the dancers and the clientele, a vampire by the name of Disco is relentlessly following her to meet with him after work. Turns out, she has very unique and special abilities that have come to the attention of the vampire population. Disco convinces Rhiannon to use her special abilities in providing help to solve the mystery of local vamps who have gone missing. The story takes off from there… From the very beginning I knew that Rhiannon was going to be one of my top favorite Urban Fantasy heroines. She cusses like a sailor, is brutally honest, and is not afraid to throw down if she feels she is being threatened. As Rhiannon says about another snarky character she has to work with… “A girl after my own smartass heart.” That actually described exactly how I felt about Rhiannon herself. How can you not love a heroine who says things like this to her romantic interest?

“If you were anyone else, your nuts would be taking a long vacation, and the destination would be out of your mouth.”

And speaking of romantic interest, “Disco” is such a different kind of Hero than I am used to, and he has a quality that I am a sucker for. He is seemingly shy! At first look, Rhiannon and Disco could not be any different. About 10 minutes in to their first “non-date” Rhiannon makes him blush and say “Jesus Christ!” in shock when she asks him something he perceives as completely direct and crude… still, he is completely enamored with her from the beginning and that is very clear. Incidentally, the quote above is directed at him. And what does he do? He smiles! He loves her tough talking smartass too. He is truly dreamy, and his appeal is off the charts.

This book moves fast, is very smart and clever, has some explosive sexual tension between the Hero and Heroine, and there is some awesome gore. We get glimpses in to Rhiannon’s dark and gut-wrenching past, as well as Disco’s, creating an instant connection with both main characters. And the ending? Well. Let’s just say it will leave you begging for more. The Renfield Syndrome is the next in the series and will be out sometime in the summer 2011. If you love your Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance, this is a wonderful blend of both genres. You want to read this book! Don’t wait as long as I did to pick it up!