Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark Series, Book 9)

Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark Series, Book 9) - Kresley Cole review posted at: http://wickedlilpixie.com/2011/03/05/spaz-reviews-dreams-of-a-dark-warrior-kresley-cole/
“Rock out with your cocks out!” – Regin the Radiant

Dreams of a Dark Warrior is the tenth novel in the Immortals After Dark series, and has been eagerly anticipated by us shameless fangirls who gush over every Kresley Cole book (there’s a reason, I promise!). You would think that with expectations this high, and a series that has lasted this long, the magical steam would be running dry. You would be wrong. When I started the book I thought, “Bring it!” When I finished this book I thought, “Oh it has been broughten!” Ms. Cole has done it again, my friends.

All of us who have followed Regin the Radiant, our beloved care-free Valkyrie, through the series have known just how endlessly witty she is. She has consistently been a favorite in each book, stealing the scenes when she makes her appearances. We’ve all wanted her HEA story, and we finally get it. At the end of the last book, Demon from the Dark, we learn of Declan Chase and how he plays in to Regin’s history as her lovestruck perfect berserker named Aidan who continues to follow her only to be killed in each reincarnation of himself. Once we discover Declan is Aidan reincarnated, and he has captured Regin to experiment on her, many of us were left scratching our heads saying “Well. how is THAT going to work out. He’s a murdering psychopath freak!” We are taken through Declan’s agonizing emotional and physical painful history along with intensive brainwashing that has turned him in to a monster. A monster filled with hate and rage, and a drug addict to boot. Completely the opposite of Aidan the Berserker and all his previous incarnations. But through all the agony blossoms one powerfully emotion-packed love story. Regin and Declan’s story not only is an awesome HEA story but keeps the magic alive with all the other characters you have come to know and love. The Ascension is coming, and it’s going to be an epic drama with Nucking Futs Nix clearly front and center along with Lothaire.

There really is not a whole lot more I can say about this book that hasn’t already been said by all my favorite fellow book reviewers. So, I am going to quote two of my favorite scenes from the book.

Regin and Lucia:

“Release the hounds, muthafuckas!” Regin screamed from outside.

Lucia sighed. “Really, Regin? Release the hounds?” She stood at the gate, her hand on the mystical lever.

“Nut up or shut up, Luce. I’m tired of looking at these assholes, tired of listening to them. Let’s do this.”

Declan to Regin:

He gripped her nape. “I fuckin’ love you, Regin!” Rain spiked his lashes as he gazed down at her, commanding her, “Love me back!”

Lothaire to Declan:

“And speaking of females, if I call you by one’s name while my fangs are plunged deep in your neck, just run with it.”

Kresley Cole writes the most intensely tortured characters and takes them and gives you the most passionate of love stories but in a way were you are laughing throughout the book despite the tension. Her characters continue to remain multi-dimensional and relatable, along with enough snark to leave you wishing you could talk like them. The series is at its best and I cannot wait to see what Ms Cole has next for us.