SPOILER ALERT!

Blood Challenge (Lupi Series #7)

Blood Challenge (Lupi Series #7) - Eileen Wilks Originally posted at WickedLilPixie Reviews

This World of the Lupi series is one of my most cherished Shifter/Changer series out there, and I have read a lot of them. In Blood Challenge, Rule and Lily are now engaged to be married which is not a lupi tradition. As a rule, lupi are promiscuous and have a deep protective nature over women, but not one in partcular. There is one sect out there, Humans First, that promotes great fear and hatred towards the lupi and want them all extinguished. The attacks of violence escalate in this book on the lupi as a whole, including Lily who the sect has labeled a traitor for mating with Rule. Rule’s positions as Lu Nuncio to Nokolai clan and Rho to Leidolf clan in the world of the lupi are sometimes at deep odds with his engagement to FBI agent Lily. Lily and Rule are at a constant struggle to do right by one another, and with this story, once again the depths of their commitment to one another is challenged.

As in the previous books, there is a lot of complex theory and practice involved with wiccan spellcraft and sidh mythology that is so well told that you are convinced it’s real. It is so well illustrated it feels like you are there and that you are struggling to understand the complexities along with Lily. Eileen Wilks is a master storyteller and by that I mean that she weaves different characters and events together so superbly that is flows like a dream. The secondary story focuses on our favorite Benedict! Benedict gets a story, and what a fantastic story it is! We learn more about his history, and he meets Arjenie and immediately senses from the Lady that she is his Chosen, a second Chosen, which is virtually unheard of. I loved Arjenie, loved her! She is oddly innocent, but not naive or ignorant. She is quirky and has a strong soul. I just adored her for Benedict and enjoyed watching their relationship evolve. Cullun is of course in this story, as well as a very pregnant Cynna. Gotta love their affectionate bickering and one-upping. I really missed Gan in this one, and am hoping s/he makes an appearance in the next book.

Blood Challenge is the 7th novel of the Lupi series, and it is no small feat to buid upon a series that focuses on one couple, keeping it enthralling and interesting, but this is hands down the best book of the series. There are no Happily Ever Afters, Rule and Lily have committed to one another for life but their challenges are ongoing and the work to be together is hard. I would be hard pressed to give you many examples of Paranormal Romance series that focus still on the adventures of a couple… and continues to make it interesting and addictive.

If you are a fan of Shifter/Changer series, it really doesn’t get better than this. Do not read this book stand-alone. The story arc and mythology are just far too complex that you will be lost. To get the full experience of Lily and Rule’s journey, start from the beginning. You won’t be disappointed, I promise! I am sitting on the edge of my chair waiting for the 8th book, Death Magic, out in November of this year!

Lupi series books: