Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey  - E.L. James My blurb was originally posted at Heroes and Heartbreakers

I did not read the blurb for Fifty Shades of Grey before starting it, and I did not even know it was erotica until beginning it! Immediately I was reminded of one of my favorite films, Secretary. Not that the book or the film are alike, but the play between the “control freak” and the unsuspecting naïve heroine really grabbed me in a similar fashion. The encounters between Anastasia and Christian are so tense and sexually charged from the get-go, and in that, it is beautifully written. But for me, Fifty Shades of Grey is so much more than the erotic prose, it made me feel deeply, and THAT is what made this book so appealing to me.

My favorite parts ended up being not the sexual play, but the emails between the two throughout the book. The emails allowed the hero and heroine a comfortable medium to communicate and flirt in. It becomes very clear that Christian is so very damaged emotionally and I will just say it right now, that rings my bell. The minute Christian tells Anastasia he is “fifty shades of fucked up,” I was sold. I was hanging onto my seat through the entire ride, waiting to see how they could possibly compromise with what Christian needs with what Anastasia wants. The ending is nothing short of gut-wrenching, and even though I knew I would not get the HEA I was pulling for, it was really the only way things could play out. It was honest. As much as I want that HEA, I also want all the dark and real emotions that come with it, and if it tears me up inside and leaves me feeling gutted, even better. Now excuse me while I run and hide with Fifty Shades Darker! :)