The Last Slayer

The Last Slayer - Nadia Lee Originally posted at WickedLilPixie Reviews

The Last Slayer is the first book in Nadia Lee’s The Heartstone Trilogy. Ashera del Cid is a hunter, and is the best you can find in the universe when it comes to hunting demons and incubi. After she is forced to defend herself from a dragon in a case keeping some executives safe from Dragon Lords, she sets in motion a series of events that reveal her to be “The Last Slayer”. The prophecy tells of her existence marking the downfall of the Dragon Lords and they of course want her dead. Enter Ramiel… the mysterious male who has made a habit of invading her dreams.

The best aspect of this book is the origin stories and lore. I love dragons so much and the world building is spectacularly vivid. Going back in to Ashera’s past and learning about her birth parents was very interesting. Ms. Lee developed a great hierarchy of demon classes and it was well done without being overly complicated.

It is made very clear in the beginning the heroine is not attractive in appearance. Her lack of beauty has strengthened her will to be better in what she does than anyone else. Ashera was a great protagonist. She is tough, and doesn’t take shit from anyone. I enjoyed this aspect of the story a lot. The hero Ramiel is very compelling. His appearance and demeanor make him hot and I kept looking forward to him entering the scenes

I did have some issues with the pacing. It felt really slow initially, then it sped up and then it slowed again. Also there was an element to the story that squiked me out and I couldn’t overcome it. Demon hunters must refuel on something called “Sex” that acted as an energy drink for them. When it would be mentioned, or smelled (cinnamon flavored?) and tasted, it just really was bizarre, and disconnected me from the story. This disconnect knocked my rating down a bit, but overall, I feel it is a good start to a new Urban Fantasy series that definitely has potential. The Last Slayer all in all was a fun and entertaining read and I am looking forward to what happens next!